Accessibility and safety
The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 relating to the provision for disabled people to gain access to and use a building requires service providers to make "reasonable adjustments" in relation to the physical features of their premises to overcome physical barriers to access.
There have also been important changes to Building Regulations. These make provision for the "reasonable adjustment" of physical features which make it impossible or unreasonably difficult for disabled people to make use of any service which is offered to the public.
The regulations advise that the "reasonable steps" taken to overcome these physical features should include:
- removal of the feature
- alteration of the feature so that it no longer has that effect
- provision of a reasonable means of avoiding the feature
- provision of a reasonable alternative method of making the service available to disabled people.
Magma products will enable you to satisfy the requirements of the current legislation.
The examples shown below illustrate the effectiveness of several of our products when used in access applications.
The stepped access shown satisfies Building Regulations as it includes:
- A 'corduroy' hazard warning surface provided at top and bottom landings to give advance warning of a change in level.
- Nosings which are made apparent by means of a permanently contrasting material 55mm wide on both the tread and the riser.
Alispar™ nosings and treads are designed to take heavy foot traffic and are suitable for use on external stairs where a high degree of slip resistance is required even in wet conditions. Suitable for footbridges, subways schools high rise housing blocks.
MagmaTac™ is a moulded flexible tactile paving tile designed to alert visually impaired pedestrians to potential hazards. It is easy and quick to lay on most surfaces and compliant with DETR and DDA guidelines.
The ramped access shown satisfies Building Regulations as it includes:
- A surface width between walls, upstands or kerbs of at least 1.5m.
- A ramp surface which is slip resistant, especially when wet, and is of a colour that contrasts visually with that of the landings.
Magma Safety Panels™
Magma Safety Panels™ are pre-coated heavy-duty skid resistant panels for use either as an overlay or structural panel. Manufactured from birch plywood throughout and fully encapsulated in epoxy resin, they have a near diamond hard aggregate bonded into the wearing surface. For use on disabled access ramps, footbridges, walkways, pontoons and jetties.
Other Magma products
Decksafe inserts have been designed to give enhanced skid resistance to timber decking without detracting from the aesthetic appearance of the wood. Decksafe can be applied in single or multiple rows and in a variety of colours and textures. Primarily specified for new build bridges and deck areas.
Magmastrip™ & Magmadisc™
Fits retrospectively to timber decking. Available in discs and strips. Discs 25mm and 50mm diameter. Strips 25mm and 35mm wide. Coloured to RAL colours. Fine or coarse grades. 8mm thick.